Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Early Mid-life Crisis?

I woke up this morning with an unexplainable need to accomplish something..... anything really!

So into my tote-of-the-day went my computer, a sketch pad, library card, sunglasses, and reusable coffee cup (made from 28% post consumer recycled plastic). I didn't need breakfast, I wasn't hungry and I don't want to hear your lecture. First stop, coffee. I've been making my own espresso lately, but had a coupon for a freebie. "I'll have a non-fat, sugary-free, vanilla latte, with an extra shot of espresso."

"Order up! I've got a triple-tall, non-fat, no sugar, vanilla latte!"

I looked at the girl in disbelief, thinking to myself, 'I am that girl.' It never occured to me when I placed the order. When it was called out for everyone to hear though, I was slightly horrified. I need to stick with what I do best; plain old americanos!

Feeling in a rut, I decide today I will gain clarity, insight, or maybe both. First stop, insight! Hello Newport Beach Public Library, my long lost friend. I pull a stack of books taller than myself and head for a desk with a window and a view of the ocean.

Sitting in the perfect library in the perfect town, I'm thinking to myself, 'What have I accomplished in my 27 years?' The answer is not nothing, but it's also not what the younger me thought i would've accomplished by now. Hence my premature feelings of mid-life crisis.

Ahhhhhhh!!!!! What am I doing?

I have 3 years til I'm 30. I never thought I'd be 30 and not own a home, drive a nice car, and have a successful business. Is it possible for me to accomplish these things in the next 3 years? All I can tell you is that I'm going to try my very best!

Now where do I start?

2 comments:

Melissa said...

So THAT'S what this is! An early midlife crisis. Maybe it's a quarter-life crisis? Does that mean we'll have another one when we're 50???

I have those exact same feelings about turning 30 in a few years and looking back, wondering how it all flew by so fast. If you figure out where to start making a successful business for yourself from what you LOVE to do, be sure to send it my way. I'm in the same boat. I should be painting as I type this. Oye!

Unknown said...

I think i'm past the age of quarter-life crises. If that were the case, i'd have to live to be 108. I'm hoping i'm at least 15 years away from a true mid-life crisis!

My BFF reassured me by saying, "It's ok. You just do things backwards."

So i guess i have to be ok with that.....